The University of the West Indies (UWI) is a dynamic,
international institution serving the countries of the Commonwealth Caribbean.
Its faculties offer a wide range of undergraduate, masters and doctoral
programmes in Humanities and Education, Science and Technology, Engineering,
Law, Medical Sciences and the Social Sciences. At 68 years old, the institution
represents the oldest of its kind within the region and has been responsible
for producing outstanding leaders who have aided in catapulting regional
The successful candidate will be responsible for
providing leadership and strategic vision for the Collections. S/He will be
required to lead the Library’s thrust to inspire discovery, cultivate
knowledge, advance research, and preserve cultural heritage through the use of
its varied special collections.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Providing leadership, strategic vision, and having
direct administrative responsibility for all functions of West Indies and
• Providing leadership for, planning, organizing, administering, and managing
staff of the section;
• Establishing and modelling performance standards and expectations to foster a
positive and innovative culture;
• Overseeing the provision of reference services to faculty, students, and
• Developing and refining the collection development policy;
• Working closely with preservation and conservation librarian on handling,
storing, protecting, and repairing the collections to preserve them and make
them available for use;
• Collaborating closely with Systems section to advance the digitization
• Understanding intellectual property and copyright matters as it pertains to
special collections management.
A consultative and inclusive leadership style. Applicants are required
to submit a resume giving full particulars of qualifications, experience, the
names and addresses of three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your
present organization) and copies of academic qualifications. Applicants are advised to ask their referees to send reports under
confidential cover to the above address without waiting to be contacted.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies;
• At least 2 years’ experience in leadership and management.
Qualifications/Experience and Abilities, Skills And Attributes:
• Previous working experience with West Indiana material and collections would
be an asset;
• A demonstrated commitment to research and scholarship;